I have made this dish several times in the last week, it’s THAT good.
It contains basically all my favourite things: tangy sun-dried tomato, balsamic vinegar, cheese and garlic…
The spinach balls are adapted from Antonio Carluccio’s recipe with just a few tweaks to veganise it and swop the nutmeg for a more tomato-compatible flavour. It looks like a lot of ingredients but it’s all stuff you’re likely to have already, nothing fancy!
No photos of the assembly or cooking stages as my phone died and I had to let it charge, typical!
Sun-dried Tomato Pasta with Cheesy Garlicky Spinach Balls
For the Spinach Balls (adapted from Antonio Carluccio’s recipe):
2 bags / 400g of spinach
2 slices of wholemeal bread pulverised into breadcrumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 cup nutritional yeast powder (or more/less as you desire it)
1 vegan ‘egg’ = I used a mixture of 2 tbsp water, 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp baking powder.
Oil for frying
For the Pasta:
150g pasta (any type you fancy)
Healthy glug *technical term 😁* of extra virgin olive oil
4-5 tsp of balsamic vinegar (or more/less as you desire it)
1/2 cup sun-dried tomato paste (or more/less as you desire it)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast powder (you get the idea 😉)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Pierce holes into each bag of spinach and microwave for 3 minutes. Drain in a colander then press between wads of kitchen roll to dry off as much as possible. Chop into small pieces.
- Combine the spinach with all the other ball ingredients except the ‘egg’. Add half of the ‘egg’ mixture at first and mix: if you are able to form balls at this stage discard the remaining ‘egg’, if not add the rest. We don’t want it too soggy!
- Heat oil in a frying pan on low-medium and add your spinach balls. Turn every now and then, they will go a lovely golden brown mmmmmmmm 💕
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain and pop back in the pan. Add all pasta ingredients and stir until warmed through.
- Plate the pasta and arrange the spinach balls on top.
Guys if you try this let me know what you think! It is AMAZE. Fact.